Subject: Re: Promise DMA trouble on AXPpci33
To: Felix Deichmann <f.dei@web.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/07/2003 23:07:21
On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 06:42:48PM +0200, Felix Deichmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have trouble using a Promise Ultra 100 TX2 in an AXPpci33 (with 2
> brand new IDE disks). The disks are downgraded to PIO mode 4. I did the
> following tests and changes already, without success:
>
> 1. Tried it with only one disk -> no success
> 2. Replaced the controller with another Ultra100 TX2 -> no success
> 3. Replaced the cables (I have 4 different 80 conductor) -> no success
> 4. Put the controller into another PCI slot -> no success
> 5. Switched the power supply with a more powerful one -> no success
> 6. Tested the disks with another computer in UDMA5 mode -> disks are OK
> 7. Upgraded from 1.6.1 kernel to current -> no success
>
> So, I don't know what the problem is... :-(

It looks like an incompatibility of some sort. I remember some problems
with some promise adapters, where they wouldn't decode all the address
bits for PCI acess. Not a problem for PCs because all bioses maps it
under 0x10000, but on alpha it fails :(
I would try a non-promise adapter (a HPT for example)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>