Subject: Re: RAIDFrame problem
To: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/05/2003 18:41:22
[ On Saturday, July 5, 2003 at 19:39:52 (+0100), Matt Dainty wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: RAIDFrame problem
>
> Just to rule as much out I've now replaced the cable with the shortest
> one I have, problem with the disks being LVD is that there's no TERM
> jumper on the disks, so I've got to use a terminated cable, and the only
> ones I have are LVD ones about 1.5m long with about 5 connectors.

Hang on a minute here.

You said you have "Seagate ST39102LC disks on an Adaptec 2940UW".

There's no way those disks are actually using LVD -- they must be
negotiating a single-ended bus attachment since as far as I know that
controller only supports single-ended Ultra-WIDE, and the Adaptec
specifications confirm:

    Electrical Drivers
       Single-ended, active, programmable via
       SCSISelect configuration utility

You want either a full active single-ended terminator, or a "forced
perfect termination" terminator, on the end of the bus.  You want to
obey SE-Ultra-WIDE rules for the cabling and connectors.  You also
probably want to make 100% certain there are no other devices on the
same bus, especially not if they're slower or narrow.  Make sure the
board's termination is set to "auto".

--
								Greg A. Woods