Subject: Re: RAIDFrame problem
To: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/04/2003 18:09:38
[ On Friday, July 4, 2003 at 21:32:19 (+0100), Matt Dainty wrote: ]
> Subject: RAIDFrame problem
>
> I recently converted my PC164LX loaded with NetBSD 1.6, to running on a
> RAIDFrame RAID 1 setup using a pair of Seagate ST39102LC disks on an
> Adaptec 2940UW.

The 2940UW has an aic7880 chip, right?

> sd1(ahc0:0:5:0): SCB 6a - timed out while idle, SEQADDR == 0xa
> SCSIRATE == 0x0
> sd1(ahc0:0:5:0): Queuing a BDR SCB
> sd1(ahc0:0:5:0): Bus Device Reset Message Sent
> sd1(ahc0:0:5:0): no longer in timeout, status = 0
> sd1: async, 8-bit transfers, tagged queueing
> ahc0: Bus Device Reset on A:5. 10 SCBs aborted

I was seeing spontaneous bus resets on my 2944UW (also an aic7880 chip,
but with an HV-differential bus, not SE) when a couple of the Kingston
DE100 hot-swap bays (with their hot-swap/repeater isolator boards) I
have on that bus started to go bad.  Sometimes there would be a parity
error, but IIRC sometimes it was just an instant bus reset.  (my host
system is intel, but that shouldn't matter)

I suspect the new AHC driver will deal with such problems a little more
gracefully, but of course if youv'e got SCSI bus problems, of any kind
(poor termination, noise, bad connectors, bad cables, poor power, etc.)
or failing disks, then there's not much the driver can do but report the
errors....

For some reason at the moment I can't remember if a target device can
"normally" cause a bus reset or not....

--
								Greg A. Woods