Subject: Re: SMBFS on alpha?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/01/2003 12:29:49
On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 06:33:16PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:

=> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 12:28:49PM -0400, Paul Mather wrote:
=> > So, I went to run /dev/MAKEDEV to make /dev/nsmb0 only to find it
=> > doesn't include that device.  Is this a subtle way of saying the SMBFS
=> > file system and mount_smbfs aren't working on alpha? :-)
=>
=> Very unlikely. Jaromir and I did make sure it works on sparc64 - so the
=> chances are high it will just work if someone adds the proper majors.alpha
=> and MAKEDEV entries.

You are absolutely correct.  I added an entry to majors.alpha and
rebuilt my SMBFS-enabled kernel.  When I rebooted using it, I mknod'ed
the nsmb0 device and mount_smbfs worked just fine!

If anyone else wants to try this out, here is what I did:

1. Append an entry to /sys/arch/alpha/conf/majors.alpha assigning a
major number to the nsmb device.  I added the next number in the
sequence (77):

device-major  nsmb            char 77                 nsmb

2. Enable SMBFS and nsmb in your kernel config file and re-build, i.e.,
add the following lines to your kernel config:

file-system     SMBFS           # experimental - CIFS; also needs nsmb (below)
pseudo-device   nsmb            # experimental - SMB requester

3. Make the /dev/nsmb0 device using the major number assigned in (1):

mknod /dev/nsmb0 c 77 0

4. Re-boot using new SMBFS-enabled kernel and enjoy your (hopefully:)
working mount_smbfs.

Should I send-pr to suggest someone adding an official entry to
majors.alpha?  BTW, I am using NetBSD 1.6T-CURRENT, built quite
recently.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu