Subject: Re: Installation can't find disks (AlphaServer 800, Mylex DAC960)
To: Ivan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dole=CFal?= <Ivan.Dolezal@vsb.cz>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/23/2003 01:02:50
Ivan,
	I've been using a DigitalServer 3305 (which is an AlphaServer
800 5/500, rebadged for Windows NT) with NetBSD for several years
now, however, I do not have a Mylex RAID controller - I've just been
using the onboard Qlogic 1040 SCSI HBA, which is (in my box)
connected to the SCA SCSI disk cabinet in the front of the box with
an internal 68-pin (wide) SCSI cable.

While I'm pretty sure that NetBSD supports a number of Mylex RAID
controllers, I don't know if they're typically included in our
INSTALL or GENERIC kernels for Alpha; that may be the problem.

Without having seen your system, I'd be willing to bet that you're
using the same four-disk SCA SCSI disk cabinet in the front of the
box, but that it is connected internally to that Mylex controller,
rather than to the 68-pin connector on the motherboard that comes
from the Qlogic 1040 chip. If that's the case, it's likely that you
could move that SCSI chain from the Mylex to the Qlogic and get
NetBSD installed and going right now.

I'll leave it to someone else to discuss how to make NetBSD work well
with the Mylex controller; it's outside my experience.

	wishing you good luck from Nevada, USA,

	Erik <fair@netbsd.org>