Subject: Re: how portable is ccd?
To: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@jkmrc.uq.edu.au>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/21/2003 07:21:22
Ray Phillips wrote:

>Dear port-alpha:
>
>Where is the setup information for a ccd volume stored?  I don't mean
>the configuration details in /etc/ccd.conf but what ccdconfig creates.

The configuration is entirely in /etc/ccd.conf.  That's all the
parameters.  :-)

>I'm wondering if data on a ccd volume would survive a system disk
>crash, or if the drives comprising it were moved to another machine.
>
>Is making the data accessible again just a matter of ensuring the
>line in /etc/ccd.conf corresponding to that ccd volume on the new
>system is the same as on the old and running ccdconfig?

You'd have to ensure that you have the disks on the new machine in
the ccd.conf in the same order with the same interleave and then
it should work.  I used a random i386 box to recover my data when
my AS 200 4/233 w/ ccd stipe lost its power supply.  The only
problem that I had was the fact that i386 and alpha look for their
disklabels at different offsets, but that's a different issue.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/