Subject: Re: Installing OpenVMS 7.2-2
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?R=FCdiger?= Engel <granada@a500.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/20/2003 12:05:56
Hello Carsten,

Am 18.05.03 schriebst Du:
> Hi!
> =

> I actually made it to get a copy of this OS. But when I tried to instal=
> it, there's only the initial message of OpenVMS shown ("OpenVMS (TM)
> Alpha Operating System...."). And the it is stuck. The CD-ROM is
> properly jumpered, otherwise it won't  have booted. So, what am I doing=

> wrong? The System is a DEC3000 M300X.

I don't really have a clue what's going wrong, but you might want to take=
look at the system's settings and check if they're allright. I've set the=
to their defaults e.g.:
bootdef_dev=3Ddka400 (my CD-ROM)
boot_osflags=3D0,0
enable_audit=3Don

Hint: Install a faster CD-ROM than the default dual-speed one and set
SCSI-Speed to fast. Installation will take hours from the dual-speed
CD-ROM...

Another source of problems could be your copy of OpenVMS 7.2-2, I've hear=
from a friend of mine that 7.2-2 did not continue to install after he was=

asked for the local timezone. That's some further into the install proces=
than you went, but he has a Flamingo, not a Pelican. :) 7.2-1 works fine.=

btw: I have a Flamingo, too (3000 Model 800) and it has NetBSD on DKA100 =
and
OpenVMS 7.2-1 on DKA200. Compared to NetBSD OpenVMS makes _much_ more use=

of the hardware! Even Mozilla runs quite usable!

Kind regards,
R=FCdiger 'Granada' Engel

-- =

/*  Ruediger Engel
    Amiga 4000 Tower 060/50/604e/150 etc.   =

    ICQ: UIN 28099521 =

    Home: http://a500.de/
    IRC: Granada@#ac.de       =

    PGP-ID: 0x0894F4B8  - Key on Request     */