Subject: Re: Unnamed card for sale on ebay
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/18/2003 21:05:09
> On Sunday, May 18, 2003, at 09:30 AM, Collin Baillie wrote:
> > I just found this on ebay (it's in Australia), and was wondeirng if
> > anyone
> > recognizes it, and if anyone would be interested in it:
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/
> > eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3416282218&category=12
> > 47
>
>    This looks like a board from a VAX 8700 or 8800.

Yes, it is. Unfortunately I can only see the small pictures, but their
characteristic layout cannot be misinterpreted :-)

Trivia:

If he is only selling 10 cards then he have lost one; there are
eleven of them in a complete CPU:

- MCL	- memory controller
- SHR	- shifter
- SLC0	- data slice 0
- SLC1	- data slice 1
- ADP	- address data path
- CCS	- cache control sequencer
- DEC	- instruction decoder
- SEQ	- sequencer
- WCS	- writable control store
- NBIA	- nautilus bi adapter
- CLK	- clock and console interface

The 85x0 series only had the above, while the 8700/8800 had an extra
NBIA + an extra bunch of all cards except CLK and MCL.

I've had ~20 systems like this running some years ago, now there are
only one left.  I plan to get NetBSD running on it someday when I have
some spare time.

I probably have CPU cards to equip ~10 more systems if someone
wants them :-)

-- Ragge