Subject: Re: Thread programs on Alpha should be better
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/18/2003 12:57:39
On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 08:21:24PM -0400, Nathan J. Williams wrote:

> The most obvious symptom (to me) was that mp3 decoding in xmms was
> slightly "chirpy", but since gcc's alpha target likes to use FP for
> lots of other things, it probably caused many other problems. Mozilla
> seems better to me, but it's somewhat flaky in general, so I don't
> think *all* of the mozilla-thread problems are fixed.

I briefly (15-30min) tested mozilla 1.3 on stuff
I built yesterday and couldn't get it to crash or freeze. Very cool,
I'll test a bit more and see if I dare to update my primary machine..

Anyway, there's something badly wrong with mozilla 1.3 (on the latest
current and 1.6L). If you don't have a ~/.mozilla it works but on the
next start the display is garbled up (think buttons with critically wrong
proportions. Hard to explain but I can provide a screenshot if someone
is interested. Only fix is to rm ~/.mozilla before starting mozilla.

> Give 'em another try.
>
>         - Nathan

Thanks for all the good work!

--