Subject: DS10 server wierdness - Help?
To: Port-Alpha <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: bob smith <sfmc68@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/13/2003 12:55:40
Background - two DS10s, both now exhibit the same problem sort of.
Attempting to run 1.6 release, straight off the release, using a
working, valid ISO image. Built a bunch of 1.6 alphas of various type
from this image. Now.....
Systems run just fine from CD with generic kernel.  I can mount the
drive, run the network, ftp the specific config files in (rc., hosts,
resolv, etc that I put together for each specific system on another box).

Config - standard DS10 466MHZ (264 cpu), 512MB, no video, ide cdrom
(compaq), Both systems were running Freebad, one with an IBM Ultra
scsidrive, 9GB, the other wit hthe RZ2....9 GB drive, serial console
(vt32). Standard PCI scsi controller, 68 pin cable, one drive one the
cable, terminator on the last connector of the cable (one box has a
cable with 8 spitots, one has a cable with 2 spigots)

Install notes - using the install tools - running thru the whole
process, formatting the drive as part of the process, setting up 3 (not
couting C) partitions: root (a - 300MB), swap (b - 600MB), usr (d, bout
8GB).

Symptom: system 1 - built successfully from iso image, booted hard
drive, dka0, it starts to boot, gets thru the boot messages until it
gets to the message that prints out the day/date/time. Then it hangs
after it prints out the day/date/time.

System 2 - essentially same deal, but hung when printing out file system
type.
System 2, redid the install with new drive, redid partitions (a,b, d) as
  300MB, 600MB, and the rest for usr) After this the system hangs just
like the first one - prints out day.date/time, and hangs.

I figure it is somethign I am doing - any nints appreciated.
vr
bob