Subject: Re: sourece for DS10 PS replacement?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Graham Allan <allan@physics.umn.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/10/2003 10:27:52
On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 09:07:24AM +0200, Mark Ter Morshuizen wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> On Thursday 10 April 2003 02:19 am, you wrote:
> > The IBM drives are larger storage, same physical, but higher current
> > draw.  This is why I suspect power supply.
>
> In my experiance DEC over-engineered it's power supplies tremendously.
> First they spec'ed the machines to use overrated power supplies, then they
> over built the oversize power supplies. I would consider it unlikely that
> your PS is the problem.

They certainly didn't overengineer the PSU in the DS10! We have 6 or so
DS10's, of which 3 have had their PSUs replaced already,. and (as it
happens) I'm waiting for HP service to come and replace another today.

From that small set of statistics, it looks like a definite weak point
of the model.

Graham
Graham Allan
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota