Subject: Re: AXPpci33 Networking Wierdness
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Pat Wendorf <mlist@beholder.homeunix.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/07/2003 00:22:42
Hey all,

I know this is a terribly slow reply, but thinking like a typical user,
"problem solved" means no need to reply.  I appologize for that.

Thanks for the help, the machine has been working flawlessly since I
recompiled my kernel with the nmbclusters increased.

However, I still find this a little strange:

I had kernel messages of buffering problems coming from the nic hardware (both
nic's actually).  This cleared up with the nmbclusters fix.  This makes
little sense to me.  How does increasing the nmbclusters value affect the
network hardware buffering? I thought this was only to increase some magic
kernel buffer that was used for buffering packets before they're sent to the
interface or some such.

Additionally, if my machine was doing such a light duty (PPPoE Nat box for my
network), why would I get these errors?  Is 1024 too small to do this task?
Would any machine require at least 4096 nmbclusters to function as a simple
server?  If so, can this be increased for the default kernel, or would this
break many things?  How about dynamic allocation of nmbclusters using the
kernel memory allocate/deallocate features?

- Pat