Subject: Re: sourece for DS10 PS replacement?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/06/2003 15:52:33
> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 17:58:51 -0400
> From: bob smith <sfmc68@bellatlantic.net>
> To: Port-Alpha <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
> Subject: sourece for DS10 PS replacement?
>
> I think, without measuring the power loads on the box, I have a flaky
> supply in a DS10. Only has scsi controller, one floppy, and 2 hard
> drives. the DS10s is acting a lil flaky with new drive.  Plugged in a
> 9GB IBM drive, SCSI 3, and the system kinda hangs when attempting to
> boot. Hangs with ?rc.conf is   " on the serial console.  Works fine with
> the original dec drive (smaller RZ drive, I think a gig or two.
>
> SCSI is terminated, drive is good, built it on another DS10, works fine.
> Original drive, a small dec scsi3, works fine but I want the 9GB as my
> base drive in this box.

When you say "built it on another DS10" I presume this means you used
the IBM drive as a data drive, while booting from some other one.

I can think of another possibility.  There are several different
hardware bits that fit the general description "9GB IBM drive",
do you know the model name?  Not necessarily relevant, but there is
one type of drive, model DMVS, that exhibits similar non-performance
on Sun SparcStations.  Perfectly fine as a data drive, can have an
operating system built on it, but can not be booted because the boot
ROM and the drive firmware do not work together.

Going back and re-reading, I don't know whether you were trying to
boot from the new drive.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst@ucsd.edu