Subject: Re: UltraDMA (was Re: Hotrod + 60GB Maxtor)
To: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/03/2003 01:22:55
On Thursday 03 April 2003 08:11 am, Jarkko Teppo wrote:
> Jarkko Teppo said:
> > Any ideas if the UltraDMA-problem is related to the controller or the
> > drive (or NetBSD) ?
>
> OK, I tried another controller, Innovision EIO-1680 Ultra ATA 133 RAID,
> based on Sil 0680.
[...]
> With flags 0xfac I get approx. 2000+ KB/s. If I try to use UltraDMA
> in any way (automatic, forcing flags to UDMA1 etc.) it falls back to
> plain PIO and then I get approx. 1MB/s.
>
> I've tried an Alphastation 500 and a 600, with 1.6L, 1.6M and 1.6Q. I've
> changed the cables a few times. It's not a PSU-problem (at least not with
> the AS 600).
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what to do ? In general I'm not picky but
> trust me, 2MB/s is sloooow.

Are you getting lost interrupts per
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-alpha/2003/01/24/0004.html ?

This sounds awfully like my adventure with a Promise 133 card on my 600au.  I
have had no such problems using a Promise UDMA-66 card instead with these
40GB Maxtor + 120GB Western Digital disks (softdeps + cgd).

It was suggested at the time that the PSU was overloaded, but I do not now
believe that to be the case:  even if the 133 protocol draws significantly
more power than UDMA 66 or 100 (I can't speculate on that), I have since
added a functional 1394 card to the PCI bus as well.

> TIA,
> --
> jht

--Dave