Subject: Re: XP1000 heating...
To: Pat Wendorf <mlist@beholder.homeunix.net>
From: Johan A. van Zanten <johan@brahma.giantfoo.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/02/2003 10:09:50
---In message <200304020100.45364.mlist@beholder.homeunix.net>
>I'm not sure if Alpha has always been this way.  I've dubbed my AxpPCI-33
>(166Mhz cpu) the "Mini-tower Space Heater".  I can warm my sorta-large
>computer room up with it.  It also seems to draw a bit more power than my
>Duron 750... which can also heat a room.  My board did come without a fan,
>but I strapped one on from fear of melting the board.  The specs say they can
>go up to 85 C before it kills iteself.  <shudder>

 The two or three DS10s i run (466 Mhz) throw quite a bit of heat.  I've
had to park the rack in front of a window A/C unit to keep the DS10's
internal temperature sensor around 45C. I'm not sure what a "good" range
is for the machine, but i'd really rather see it around 40C. (The RMC
itself says that it sends warnings at 55C and shuts off at 60C.)

 --johan