Subject: Re: Deleting files
To: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/23/2003 13:18:22
On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 11:01:00AM -0500, John Franklin wrote:
> Incidentally, the stress test:
> The miniNAS is a P100 with far too little memory (a scant 96M.)  It has,
> among other things, pkgsrc checked out onto it.  After having built many
> packages with it there are many of work directories on it.  From a
> remote machine I execute this:
>
> cd /usr/src/pkgsrc
> foreach i (*/*/work)
> rm -rf $i &
> end

What happens if you do something like "rm -rf /var/news/spool/archive"?
On my AlphaStation (64MB) doing this would bring down the system and
then take over an hour to fsck on the way back up. This was with
about 200,000 to 300,000 files deleted almost at once.

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper