Subject: Re: Deleting files
To: Christian von Kleist <cvk@zybx.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/18/2003 10:07:24
Hi !

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Christian von Kleist wrote:
>      I've been using sync mounting, but I'd be willing to use softdeps as
> long as I know it's stable.  If there's a chance of it borking my
> whole filesystem I'm afraid of it.  :)

Everything, which is considered unstable, has this chance. But from my opinion,
if you don't stress the machine too much, it runs stable enough. Even with the
crashes, i never had data loss, just several hours of work with multiple runs
of fsck, and rebuild of RAIDframe parity.

If you have lots of action to do, like removing a pkgsrc tree, it seems to be
enough to let all buffers been written to disks from time to time, this is the
reason for the loop including sync after every subdir below pkgsrc.

It seems to make trouble if too much is cached before write to disk. But with
my 1.6-installation, i copied the whole pkgsrc from my RAIDframe array to a
single IDE drive slice using cpio without any problems.

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX