Subject: Re: Deleting files
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Christian von Kleist <cvk@zybx.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/18/2003 03:43:20
     Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.  I wasn't using soft
dependencies and turning it on will increase performance, but should
I be using it?  I turned it on for my /storage and /software which
are partitions on separate drives that I use for compilation of
source and storage of the final product, respectively.  There's been
enough speculation about softdep crashes to scare me out of using it
on /usr, /home, etc....

     Operations on my xsrc tree (about 440 megs):

     rm -rf /software/xsrc
     without softdep:  9 minutes 1 second
     with softdep:     1 minute 3 seconds

     cp -Rf xsrc /storage/xsrc /software/  (two different drives)
     without softdep:  10 minues 15 seconds
     with softdep:     5 minues 51 seconds

     As you can see, turning on softdep made a huge speed-up in file
deletion, and I'm very happy about that.  Now, if I can just figure
out if softdep is stable enough to trust!

--
c v k @ z y b x . c o m