Subject: Re: Deleting files
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/17/2003 12:01:15
On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 05:53:14PM +0100, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Christian von Kleist wrote:
> > >      Why do deletion operations take so long?  Doing
> >
> > Are you using softdep or are you using "classic sync mounted" filesystems?
> > async mounting is not really good, but softdeps improves performance
> > drastically for such operations.
>
> I find async mounting ok for populating newly created filesystems. If it
> crashes, I would start from scratch in any case.
>
> And it seems quite slow, even with mounting async...

What you're almost certainly seeing is the "pseudosynchronous I/O"
effect cause by either running out of vnodes or running out of metadata
buffers.  The first is easy to fix; use sysctl to bump kern.maxvnodes,
a *lot*.

The latter is harder, but unless you have a truly huge number of files
and directories delete, you should not see it.

Thor