Subject: Re: Alpha *BSD (what is the better OS ?)
To: Pierre Emmanuel Brinette <brinette@hrnet.fr>
From: Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/14/2003 00:03:10
On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:03:43PM +0100, Pierre Emmanuel Brinette wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I've got an old AXPPci33 (Noname) system with 64Mb, and I'm testing
> several OS on it. I've already tried Linux and NetBSD. I have very good
> result with NetBSD 1.6, since I've rebuild a new kernel, the system is very
> stable and a bit quick compared to Linux.
>
> I've never try OpenBSD/FreeBSD on it. To your opinion, what are the major
> differences beteween those systems and NetBSD, will I gain something
> (velocity, less memory usage, security ...) ?

Well, FreeBSD will run OK on the NoName. But the Alpha port for FreeBSD
has its roots in all the hard work done in NetBSD. My guess would be that
there are more NetBSD/alpha users out there than FreeBSD/alpha users.
FreeBSD development has it's focus on x86 (and ia64 is coming of course).
NetBSD is as you know much more multi-architecture oriented.

I have had both NetBSD and FreeBSD on my NoName (I no longer own it BTW)
but have never done any speed tests. In general NoNames are slow by todays
standards. I'm not a Linux fan so I have never tried that.

My advice: try it, and use what you like best.

W/