Subject: Re: Netbooting a Multia
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Graham Allan <allan@physics.umn.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/12/2003 15:18:27
On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 10:03:41PM +0100, Werner Backes wrote:

> Seems to be Version 4.5-780. I tried 4.5-819 about a year before but
> didn't have much success with it. I read somewhere that this version
> is suitable for Digital UNIX (uh.. not sure about this) only and
> for nothing else. I could netboot with this versions but had lots
> of crashes later. The version I currently use is 3.8-3. I had to
> hardcode
> the multia's MAC address into netboot but then it worked fine. Other
> people
> report that 3.8-3 is no good and 3.8-2 is preferred but possibly this
> may
> vary from multia to multia?

As I remember it, version 4.5-819 was a strange one built for running a
patched/hobbyist version of VMS - and doesn't work with other OSes.

I had 4.5-780 for a while, and it was netbooting NetBSD 1.5 pretty
happily - I don't think any special tricks were needed.

Graham Allan
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota