Subject: Re: machine check from alphastation 255
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/12/2003 17:00:05
On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 03:36:59PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an alphastation 255 (233Mhz) on which I get machine check during
> heavy usage: pci bridge fault while heavy usage (copy from a NFS server
> to a local IDE disk) or processor fault during heavy CPU usage (package
> compile). I tried 2 different RAM sets, and tested the 2 RAM bank on
> motherboard individually. So this doesn't seem to be a problem with RAM
> or with the RAM socket on motherboard (or several of them are brocken).

Well, it turned to be a RAM problem. I found a set of 8MB parity SIMMs,
and the machine is stable with theses. The others one were ECC, but
I don't think this should be a problem. Both are 60ns ... strange.

Anyway I found a way to add a fan to this box: next to the PCI dauther card,
on the metal part which goes from front to back. It moves air from the disk
part to the CPU/PCI part of the box, and it seems to help. My HDs seems to
be less hot, as to the cache chips.