Subject: Re: Using ccc (instead of gcc)
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/09/2003 22:16:37
Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:

> I am quite disappointed with gcc's results on alphas [*], so I would like to
> try something like this, but I suspect it will produce only linux
> binaries. Is there any way to force such compiler to produce NetBSD
> binaries? Both use ELF, so the ABI will be probably the same? Syscalls
> are different, but they are generally made by librairies, not by the app
> itself, so this shouldn't be a major problem.

FreeBSD has a package for the Compaq compiler.  They run it under
Linux compatibility, but it produces native executables.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/compaq-cc/

This could be ported to NetBSD.  My experience with ccc has been
mixed.  The compiler may or may not produce better code than gcc.
The include math library however is way faster than the system one.

Alas, much code, both third party and system headers, relies on
gcc-isms, which ccc doesn't handle and which need to be worked
around.  Maybe the NetBSD headers are cleaner in this respect, I
don't know.

ccc's warning levels put gcc's -Wall to shame.