Subject: Re: machine check from alphastation 255
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: None <Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/09/2003 10:00:50
I had THE SAME PROBLEM OF YOURS with an alphastation 255 (233MHz),
the sams symptoms. I could make it crash everytime with a machine check
if I use dd with a huge blck size copying a huge file into another.
Try this. Create a 500MB file and try dd with a very big bs like
bs=50000000 and see if it will crash.
On my alphastation it was crashing all the time I run this test.
In my case it was a bcache problem and there was nothing to do, I had to
throw my Alphastation away... I hope this is not your problem anyway...
the symptoms looks like the same. The cache modules being very hot it's
quite normal. I had also put a supplementary fan cooler but it did not
work...

Rick