Subject: Re: Hard reset error on dual PCI buses
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/07/2003 14:03:42
Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:00:31AM -0800, David Hopper wrote:
>
>  > I'd like to get further in debugging the X -scanpci code with an
>  > AlphaServer 1200, which has dual PCI buses.  The code right now causes a
>  > hard reset, with no core file, no DDB, and an empty error log.
>
> The reason for this is probably XFree86 wanting to change one of the
> HAE registers, or reprogram a BAR.
>
> That is basically NEVER safe.  The code should be changed to use NetBSD's
> PCI library.

A feature-request send-pr it is, then.  Argh-- I was hoping to help debug
4.3.0 to get it solid across *all* PCI alphas (not just the Miata, Avanti, and
other single-PCI systems) in time for 2.0.

Okay, granted, X is a monster-- an albatross-- for the Alpha servers.  But I
have this nagging 'so-close' feeling to getting it working.  For the first
time we'd be in-sync and bug-free with our own xsrc tree.

Dave