Subject: Re: pppoe on port-alpha
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/05/2003 00:05:48
I'm glad mouse-pppoe is helping someone!

> 4a. options files in /etc/ppp aren't used. (? i think)

They were for me, though I had to read pppd(8) carefully and make sure
I knew which options files were read when to create the right ones.

> 7. mouse-pppoe sets the mtu at 1400 for no particularly good reason,
>    so adjust your NAT mssclamp accordingly.

I'm not sure what you mean: no particularly good reason for advertising
an MSS less than 1500, or for making it that low, or for picking 1400,
or what?  An MSS less than 1500 is necessary on Ethernet hardware that
can't send and receive oversized packets.  If the hardware involved in
your case can, feel free to s/1400/1500/ in the code - but not all
hardware can.  It doesn't have to be as low as 1400, no; I picked that
because it meant I didn't have to figure out exactly how much overhead
there was.  As for why exactly 1400, only because it was a round number
that was large enough to not impair performance too much and small
enough to be definitely less than ETHERMTU after adding on PPPoE gunk.

As for the MSS clamp botch, well, that particular horse has been beaten
to death long since; I'm not going any closer to it than inheres in
calling it a "botch".  (On-list, at least.  If you're curious, I'll be
happy to rant at length off-list.)

> BTW vze4j35s is my _username_.  yes.

Thrills.  Back when I used PPPoE, my username was, if I recall
correctly, b1widp03, apparently selected by a similarly brilliant
algorithm.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign