Subject: Re: Vdieo display on 250 -4/2xx
To: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/22/2003 19:34:12
At 3:52 AM -0500 2/21/03, Roland Dowdeswell wrote:
>On 1045797752 seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
>bob smith wrote:
>>

>>card and crt, that is a good answer, but I will probably be asking more
>>questions
>>on how to set up X properly.
>>thanks in advance for any help!
>
>If that's a TGA card [which it is if it comes up as a frame buffer
>which I think you described], just type:
>
>	# xdm
>
>as root.  It should just work.  The only way to change the resolution
>is to either muddle with the dip switches or the wheel depending
>on whether it is a TGA or TGA2.

That's not quite what he was asking, if I read him correctly. On my
AS200 with the ZLXp-E2 set to 1280x1024, the console font is a
graphical rendering of around 14 point 80x34  with inches of black
border (it used to be standard 9pt or so before about 6 months ago).
He wants to use more of the screen/get better than 80x34.

Also, wouldn't startx be more appropriate than xdm? xdm is designed
to be started automatically in rc, not as a user process by whoever
logged into the console itself. Startx on the other hand is designed
to be run from the command line.

Just my thoughts,
Mike
--