Subject: Problems with 164LX firmware conversion
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Jolan Luff <jolan@cryptonomicon.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/20/2003 12:51:44
I just inherited an 164LX.  I'm trying to load the SRM firmware.
The flash seems to work as the machine resets itself and comes back
up with a white cursor on a blue background.  From googling around,
I think this means I'm in SRM, but the videocard is not supported.
I hooked up a serial console, and I see the following messages:

ec.f4.eb.ea.Flash error: low voltage detected
Flash error: error in block erase
Segment 15 had incomplete erasures
Flash error: low voltage detected
Flash error: error in block erase
Segment 15 had incomplete erasures

Does anyone have tips as to what is causing the low voltage
warnings?  I replaced the only battery I saw, the RTC one.  But this
did not quell the warning.  I don't see anything else that is obvious.

The verify command returns:

fsb             Verifying 3.1...  FAILED.

which is to be expected.

For kicks, I tried update anyway:

fsb             Updating to 3.1... Flash error: low voltage detected
Flash error: error in block erase
Segment 00 had incomplete erasures
 FAILED.

Does anyone have some recommendations?