Subject: 433au will not boot after installation
To: 'port-alpha@netbsd.org' <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Collette <rick.collette@quest.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/29/2003 08:47:19

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2C7B6.169D5460

[Try #3 to get this email sent - I really think I have a deep dislike for
Exchange/Outlook...]

Here's what I have done:

Installed NetBSD 1.6-RELEASE from CD-ROM.  I installed everything and took
all the defaults on partitioning.

The IDE HDD is dkb0, so from SRM I did: >>>boot dkb0 -flags 0,0

Then it said it was booting from the right device and just sat there. For
hours.

So I read a bit more and dug around and found something about running
installboot.

I booted to CD, dropped to the shell, and followed the instructions for 1.4
or later on using installboot.

Again, SRM, boot dkb0, wait for hours.

So I moved the IDE drive to the first controller and removed the cdrom
completely.

Again, SRM, boot dka0, wait for about 1 hour this time.

Am I looking at a dead 433au? My experience is predominantly with Sun, HP,
IBM, and Intel hardware.. but I have access to more of these and would
really like to have them working with NetBSD.

The reason I am using IDE is the QLogic controller I have is fried.  I
originally tried with it, but after getting kernel failures on boot with
both net and free, I tried the scsi card in an Intel based system and found
the card to be dead.

Any help in resurrecting my poor alpha is MUCH appreciated.

Rick Collette
Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
Quest Software (R&D - Pleasanton, CA)
(925)734-4749 (Desk)
(650)248-6182 (Cellular)
 (925)734-4701 (Fax)

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2C7B6.169D5460

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.5.2654.45">
<TITLE>433au will not boot after installation</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>[Try #3 to get this email sent - I really think I =
have a deep dislike for Exchange/Outlook...]</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Here's what I have done:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Installed NetBSD 1.6-RELEASE from CD-ROM.&nbsp; I =
installed everything and took all the defaults on partitioning.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The IDE HDD is dkb0, so from SRM I did: =
&gt;&gt;&gt;boot dkb0 -flags 0,0</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Then it said it was booting from the right device and =
just sat there. For hours.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>So I read a bit more and dug around and found =
something about running installboot.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I booted to CD, dropped to the shell, and followed =
the instructions for 1.4 or later on using installboot.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Again, SRM, boot dkb0, wait for hours.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>So I moved the IDE drive to the first controller and =
removed the cdrom completely.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Again, SRM, boot dka0, wait for about 1 hour this =
time.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Am I looking at a dead 433au? My experience is =
predominantly with Sun, HP, IBM, and Intel hardware.. but I have access =
to more of these and would really like to have them working with =
NetBSD.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The reason I am using IDE is the QLogic controller I =
have is fried.&nbsp; I originally tried with it, but after getting =
kernel failures on boot with both net and free, I tried the scsi card =
in an Intel based system and found the card to be dead.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Any help in resurrecting my poor alpha is MUCH =
appreciated.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Rick Collette</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sr. Unix Systems Administrator</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Quest Software (R&amp;D - Pleasanton, CA)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>(925)734-4749 (Desk)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>(650)248-6182 (Cellular)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;(925)734-4701 (Fax)</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C2C7B6.169D5460--