Subject: Re: options BUFCACHE=20 causes boot freeze
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Vier <tmv@comcast.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/19/2003 18:33:44
On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 10:19:10AM -0500, Paul Mather wrote:
> Unless I'm much mistaken, vm.filemin and vm.filemax serve the
> same function as BUFCACHE now.  (See also vm.{anon,exec}{min,max}.)

afaict, w/ uvm everything is dynamic, and has the usual min, low, high
watermarks that most vm systems do, except buffers. fs metadata is held in
the static buffer cache. on my indigo2 that has 128megs, upping it to 20%
sped up rsync and pkg_chk a lot. it was able to fit all the pkgsrc metadata
in the bc. hopefully, uvm will get a dynamically allocated buffer cache
soon. i'm surprised it wasn't originally designed w/ one.

--
Tom Vier <tmv@comcast.net>
DSA Key ID 0xE6CB97DA