Subject: Re: Alpha Server 1000 4/266 on NetBSD
To: None <Robertdkeys@aol.com>
From: Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/09/2003 22:43:55
On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 04:32:06PM -0500, Robertdkeys@aol.com wrote:
> I had the fortune to pick up fairly nice Alpha Server 1000 4/266 with 128mb
> ram
> and 5x2.1g drives.  After purging billyware and the penguin that someone had
> tried to load previously, I have it up on NetBSD-1.6 and it seems to be doing
> OK.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  Is there a manual to the Alpha Server 1000 4/266 floating about on the net
>      somewhere?  My searches so far have been less than optimal.

If you don't find anything soon I can start a dig in my CD collection.
What exactly do you need to know?

> 2.  What is the correct incantation to the boot rom to cause it to enter a
> halt to
>      prom state >>> at boot?

something like >>> SET AUTO_ACTION HALT

> 6.  The CDROM is set to ID=4.  I would like to move it to ID=6, and add in a
> few
>      more drive caddies.  Are there any gotchas in the hardware or NetBSD that
>      I need to be aware of to move it to ID=6?

Most, if not all, DEC CDROM drives for the Alpha series have the requirement
to be 512bytes/sector by default. But apart from that you can set the ID
to what you desire. I have my Alpha's CDs set to 6 as well.

Just type BOOT DKA600 instead (assuming you see it as DKA400 now) to boot
from CD.

W/