Subject: Alpha Server 1000 4/266 on NetBSD
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: None <Robertdkeys@aol.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/09/2003 16:32:06
I had the fortune to pick up fairly nice Alpha Server 1000 4/266 with 128mb
ram
and 5x2.1g drives.  After purging billyware and the penguin that someone had
tried to load previously, I have it up on NetBSD-1.6 and it seems to be doing
OK.

Questions:

1.  Is there a manual to the Alpha Server 1000 4/266 floating about on the net
     somewhere?  My searches so far have been less than optimal.

2.  What is the correct incantation to the boot rom to cause it to enter a
halt to
     prom state >>> at boot?

3.  What is the correct boot incantation to cause it to boot after coming up
into
     the prom into multiuser mode?  It currently comes up into single user
after
     which the usual CTRL-D brings up multiuser mode.

4.  Are there any gotchas that one should know about this particular machine
    either in hardware, promware, or NetBSD?

5.  If bringing up X on it, what is the correct server to use, and what
config bits
     should I be aware of?

6.  The CDROM is set to ID=4.  I would like to move it to ID=6, and add in a
few
     more drive caddies.  Are there any gotchas in the hardware or NetBSD that
     I need to be aware of to move it to ID=6?

Thanks

Bob Keys