Subject: Re: Update: MP AS4100 hanging
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/08/2003 02:15:43
On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 06:59:09PM +1100, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> Koalas are marsupials, not mammals (which bears are).
> There is no such thing as a "koala bear".

Marsupials are mammals, actually... they're a subset of mammals (or to
be precise, mammals are of the class Mammalia, marsupials are the
subclass Metatheria, and placentals, like you and me, are subclass
Eutheria). Monotremes, such as the platypus and echidna, are mammals
too--subclass Prototheria.

As to whether or not there's such a thing as a "koala bear", I think
enough people use the name that there is such a thing :) Not that
it means that a "koala bear" is any sort of bear... just like a "hedgehog"
isn't any sort of hog, a "sea cow" isn't a cow, and a "carpet" isn't
a pet :)
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 27 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++