Subject: Re: Update: MP AS4100 hanging
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/07/2003 13:20:32
On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 02:20 AM, Jeff Workman wrote:
> I just built and installed 1.6L out of CVS today and still having
> problems with the machine locking up during heavy I/O as a NFS server.
>  At least it's not locking up during other I/O operations now, or at
> least I couldn't get it to hang.  After installing the 1.6L kernel I
> was able to build the entire userland with a -j4 without it hanging.

   Do you know offhand if a 1.6L kernel coexist nicely with a 1.6
userland?

   Is it stable otherwise?  (the system I'm thinking about is a
production machine...the added performance would be a big benefit for
me)

> FTP speed is much better I had previously reported 2.19
> megabyte/second, tonight I got 5.2 megabyte/second.  There were still
> several pauses for no apparent reason during the download, though,
> some lasting several seconds.

   Wow, that's quite a difference in throughput.  I wonder what's
happening with those delays; I haven't seen anything like that on my
1.6 system.

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols