Subject: Re: HomePNA problems
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/06/2003 14:02:41
Erik E. Fair said:

> Jarkko,
>
> Instance counting starts from zero, which means that the first PHY
> reported by autoconfig at boot time for each individual Ethernet
> interface is instance zero, regardless of the PHY number on the MII.
> See PR kern/18762 for my complaint about this. So, to enable your
> HomePNA PHY, you need:
>
> 	ifconfig vr0 instance 0 inet <whatever> netmask <whatever> up

I ripped the card from the previous gateway, installed it in the alpha,
powered up the machine and forgot that command immediately... figures.

Anyway, I tried:

ifconfig vr 0 inet 1.2.3.4 netmask 255.255.255.255 instance 0
But ifconfig refused to change the instance (silently) until I
specified "media HomePNA1".

Thanks for a thorough explanation, it cleared the issue (driver vs. phy)
considerably.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to list supported mediatypes on each
*phy man-page ? (or maybe not)

Once again, thanks a million!

(I got pppoe working as well, thanks to the docs on www.netbsd.org)
--