Subject: Re: Memory: Parity vs ECC?
To: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/28/2002 18:43:11
> Say, if I'm trying to buy ECC memory for my AlphaStation 200, will an=
> 1234x36 SIMM work? (Well, 64MB or smaller I guess.)

Most probably.

> I thought non-parity was FOOx32, parity FOOx33, and ECC FOOx36. Is
> that not correct? It's pretty easy to find "parity" FOOx36 memory,
> but I really want ECC. What's the scoop?

Seeing some part of the following discussion -- the key here is that
the ECC functionality isn't implemented on the SIMM, but typically in
the memory controller.  The memory controller needs a number of extra
bits to perform this function, naturally, and x33 doesn't provide
enough "extra" bits.  So, in principle there's no difference between
x36 "parity" or "ECC" SIMMs (at least as long as we're talking about
the 72-pin variety).

Regards,

- H=E5vard