Subject: Re: Which browser on DEC 300/300
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?R=FCdiger?= Engel <granada@a500.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/26/2002 23:00:32
Hallo Jochen,

Am 26-Dez-02 schriebst Du:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 04:53:26PM +0100, R?diger Engel wrote:
>
>> Communicator 4.78 runs very smooth on my Flamingo+, but I have a strange
>> DNS-Problem: It only opens connections to hosts I entered in /etc/hosts
>> by hand. Not a very useful way to access WWW-pages. :( How can I solve
>> this resolve-problem?
> What is in emul/osf1/etc/svc.conf? I have a line
> hosts=local,bind,yp
> in it.

that line is exactly the same on my machine. :(
Does your netscape/communicator run and do dns-lookups? Do you have a local
caching dns and/or dnscache running? Maybe that's my problem?

>> btw: Mozilla 1.2.1 _is_ a bit too big. It runs at about 1/100th the speed
>> of the old Communicator. I'd call this "unusable", even with the latest
>> -current-Kernel 1.6K.
> And libc / ld.so? The dynamic linker was enhanced some time ago.

Yep! That's why I built the latest -current Kernel. I read about the
improvements in performance of mozilla in the ML and yes, it runs faster
than before but I'd still call it unusable. ;-)
The old communicator runs like my Mercedes SL compared to mozilla. 8)

Gruss,
Ruediger

--
/*  Ruediger Engel