Subject: Re: AlphaStation 1000A
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/14/2002 00:44:49
On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 11:39:05PM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:

=> \begin{flame bait}
=> BTW: Why drop Tru64? It is a nice and _very_ powerfull Unix, very
=> BSDish. I am running it on my main workstation, a PWS 500au, for over
=> one year now. I am very satisfied with it.
=> \end{flame bait}

Because in many ways it is more hassle for me to build and keep up to
date things I use on Tru64 than on NetBSD (especially via pkgsrc).
The cumulative patch kits are a pain (and a mystery), IMHO, and I find
it easier to keep up with patching security holes and doing OS
upgrades on NetBSD.  (I like audit-packages.)  Besides, did they ever
eventually come out with a port of ipfilter for Tru64?  (When I looked
a while ago it was promised as "coming in the next version of
ipfilter," but that was before Compaq merged with HP and distanced
itself from the Alpha.)  I use ipfilter.

I quite like Tru64---particularly AdvFS---but for my purposes, NetBSD
is a whole lot more suitable.  (I guess if I were a regular Java
programmer I might sing a different story.:)

If it makes you feel any better, I still admin a Digital Unix 4.0G
system running on a DEC 3000/300 here... ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa