Subject: Re: Machine freeze after starting X
To: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/06/2002 21:07:50
On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 12:51:13AM +0100, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> Hiya Alpha addicts,
>
> on my DEC PWS 500au (Miata?, PCI based) with an 21164a processor my
> computer still freezes completely (i.e. no keyboard, no ping-response etc
> etc...) when i start the X server.
>
> I've managed to get the apended log when starting the X server remotely...

Using what X server? I didn't think a stock server supported a vga
card?

Anyway, I'm trying to get mel's X server running on my AXPpci33. The
problem I'm having is that the server on startup attempts to probe
the PCI space. It probes the entire bus 0 OK, but then when it goes
to probe the second PCI bus the machine locks hard.

Is it an error to probe where a second PCI bus would be if that
second bus existed? IE, is the X server wrong for probing the way
it does?
--
"A method for inducing cats to exercise consists of directing a beam of
invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus onto the floor ...