Subject: Install problems on noname
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Hans Vandierendonck <hvdieren@elis.rug.ac.be>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/02/2002 16:08:14
Hi,

I am trying to install NetBSD 1.6 on a noname Alpha system with a
166 MHz CPU and 32MB RAM.
I downloaded the 1.6 install disks from ftp.netbsd.org, wrote them to the
floppies and tested they were correct.
Then I booted the system with the floppies inserted. The SRM started
dumping registers immediately after it probed the floppy drive for
the presence of a floppy.
So I rebooted without the floppy and inserted the floppy after the SRM
gave its prompt. Then I entered "b dva0" and this followed:
>>>b dva0
(boot dva0.0.0.0.1 -flags 0)
block 0 of dva0.0.0.0.1 is a valid boot block
reading 90 blocks from dva0.0.0.0.1
bootstrap code read in
base = 154000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = b400
initializing HWRPB at 2000
initializing page table at 146000
initializing machine state
setting affinity to the primary CPU
jumping to bootstrap code

NetBDS/alpha 1.6 ustart Bootstrap, Revision 1.3
(autobuild@cs20.apochromatic.org, Sun Sep  8 11:56:48 UTC 2002)

VMS PAL rev: 0x1000000010530
OSF PAL rev: 0x1000000020123
Switch to OSF PAL code succeeded.

Boot flags: 0
8084288

After this, the system hangs. Sometimes a number appears, sometimes it doesn't.
Any ideas about what is wrong?

Cheers,
Hans.
 Hans Vandierendonck, Ghent University, Electronics and Information Systems
 E-mail: hans.vandierendonck@rug.ac.be