Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 on DEC 3000/300
To: Collin Baillie <sanac@optushome.com.au>
From: Lieven Dekeyser <lieven@zeus.rug.ac.be>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/17/2002 16:49:17
> Lieven,
>
> I'd probably be more inclined to use the iso image at
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/iso/1.6/alphacd.iso. (a little over 80MB)
>
> I used this for 1.5 on my 3000/400 and it worked well. I don't think the
> cdhdtape image (2.6MB) has a full install binary set with it. Give that a
> go and tell us how you went.

It went great!

I attached an internal SCSI CD-ROM drive to one of the internal SCSI
connectors, inserted the cd with the alphacd.iso burnt on it, typed boot
dka600 and the sysinstall program showed up on my console!

Now I've recompiled the kernel so I don't need the serial console
anymore. works fine... NetBSD running on my DEC 3000/300 with a beautiful
19" (21" by today's standards, I guess) screen.

The people on this list have been very helpful. Thank you guys!
I didn't realize there were still so many active DEC 3000 users around.

Next step: getting X11 to run...

I've seen some instructions on the net, but they all involve XdecNetBSD,
which I can't seem to find :S

--Lieven