Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 on DEC 3000/300
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@maja.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Jochen Kmietsch <jochen.kmietsch@tu-clausthal.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/16/2002 14:58:26
Hi!

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> > Well, I never said that it was easy to get NetBSD on a Pelican.
> I found it quite easy to get NetBSD on my DEC3k600. As I was bitten

YMMV.  I was trying to calm down the frustrated user who wrote the
original post I responded to.  I expected a post like yours as a response
to mine.

> > In fact, compared to a recent Linux-installation it's a PITA,
> The recent Linux-installations are a PITA. Lots of "klickibunti",

Depends on personal preferences.  You know, there are Linux-Dists out
there that have a clean install mechanism etc.  Refer to the "BSD vs. Linux=
"
article in iX.

> So, you see, everthing depends on your personal aspects. :-)

Sure.  I don't like klickibunti either.

> > the old 1.5 system (compiler from 1991...), etc.
> Pardon? 1991 vintage compiler?

Prove me wrong but IIRC 1.5.3 had an egcs from around that date in the
default install.  Check the archives for my pleas for help to get somewhat
recent software to build with that thing.

> or a Symbolics Lisp machine is computer history. An Alpha is barely 10
> years old. Thats young.

Sorry, I am not that old to see that as young :)

> I consider a 150 MHz 21064 as quite fast. (At least compared to

Compared to what?

> most of my VAXen.) I LaTeXed most of my diploma thesis on an

Oh, I see :)

> AlphaStation 200 1/166.

P75 here.  Sure you can live with machines like that, and I am having lots
of fun with my Sun IPX, SS5 etc.  But I think guys like us are not quite
the average computer user.

> As speaking of noise: My DECstation 5000/240 and the DEC3k600 are
> some of the most silent machines I ever come to. Maybe you need a
> new fan?

Could be.

I was just trying to help.  Sorry for that, will refrain from it next
time.

Jochen
--=20
 =BBBevor ich beginne, meine Feinde zu liebe, betrachte ich die
 Verh=E4ltnisse zu meinen Freunden.=AB