Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 on DEC 3000/300
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
From: Jochen Kmietsch <jochen.kmietsch@tu-clausthal.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/15/2002 19:29:20
Hello!

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, Michael G. Schabert wrote:

> How exactly is it "far less hassle" for every single person with a TC

Well, I never said that it was easy to get NetBSD on a Pelican.
In fact, compared to a recent Linux-installation it's a PITA, and I did
swear often enough about all the edges and corners, the old 1.5 system
(compiler from 1991...), etc.  Still, when you finally get it to run and
that old box spins up it's disk, it was worth the hassle.  This is
computer history kept alive.

> machine to be forced to individually go through the steps of putting
> it physically near another system, piece together a null modem cable

Depends.  I had a VT220 terminal anyway, which is actually easier to
handle than the GDM-1961 VRT screen.  And I thought that everybody who is
brave enough to mess with a computer like that has a null-modem-cable in
his scrap-box.  I even have one that has 9-female and 25-male for my
Suns :)

> than it would be for one person, once, to make a kernel on an
> existing system that will work on a TurboChannel machine and make it
> available as an option on the NetBSD ftp server?

Go for it.

> That is just insane.

Isn't trying to keep these boxes running anyway?  They are noisy and slow
(at least a Pelican, compared to a somewhat up-to-date PC), but still fun
to play around with, at least at the approriate level of Geekness.

Jochen