Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 on DEC 3000/300
To: Lieven Dekeyser <lieven@zeus.rug.ac.be>
From: Jochen Kmietsch <jochen.kmietsch@tu-clausthal.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/12/2002 15:42:43
Hello!

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Lieven Dekeyser wrote:

> > but they do run well once up :)
> how do they compare to x86 machines?

Todays?  I will get the wrath of the list members on my head by saying
this, and even though I have a lot slower boxes, they do not exactly race
away.
The ones back then?  They stomp them.  After all, they were expensive
workstations when they came out.
The SCSI-bus is pretty slow, the NIC is 10 Mbit only, but hey, you just
can't throw away computer history.  And the way they are built, they
should run forever.

Jochen
--
The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating system
and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.