Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 on DEC 3000/300
To: Jochen Kmietsch <jochen.kmietsch@tu-clausthal.de>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/12/2002 12:15:46
At 12:48 PM +0200 10/11/02, Jochen Kmietsch wrote:
>Hello!
>
>On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Lieven Dekeyser wrote:
>
>>  more information. Aparently I'll need a kernel that supports TurboChannel
>>  frambebuffer, but the link on the site I used doesn't work anymore.
>
>Actually, it's far less hassle to install via serial terminal (or null
>modem cable and laptop) and then compile a kernel when the system is up.

How exactly is it "far less hassle" for every single person with a TC
machine to be forced to individually go through the steps of putting
it physically near another system, piece together a null modem cable
(often (2) modem cables with a null adapter), install NetBSD via
serial console, download syssrc.tgz, alter the GENERIC config,
compile a kernel, replace, reboot with the keybord/monitor attached
than it would be for one person, once, to make a kernel on an
existing system that will work on a TurboChannel machine and make it
available as an option on the NetBSD ftp server?

That is just insane.

This would require nothing more than
snapshot/binary/kernel/netbsd-TC.gz and
snapshot/binary/kernel/netbsd.install-TC.gz. Not all that much to ask
IMO. There's no reason to not have it there. Other ports have had
special kernels in their snapshot kernel directories as long as I've
been using NetBSD.

Also, the other Jochen wrote:
>Then build a TCWSCONS kernel (/usr/src/sys/arch/alpha/TCWSCONS)

Unfortunately, there is no /usr/src/sys/arch/alpha/TCWSCONS as evidenced by
ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-current/src/usr/src/sys/arch/alpha/conf/TCWSCONS

Just my thoughts,
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.