Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 on DEC 3000/300
To: Lieven Dekeyser <lieven@zeus.rug.ac.be>
From: Jochen Kmietsch <jochen.kmietsch@tu-clausthal.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/11/2002 16:32:04
Hello!

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Lieven Dekeyser wrote:

> > Attach a CD drive and boot via CD-ROM.  At least that's what I did, b/c I
> > was not brave enough to do a firmware-update :)
> The 4 model 300 's hav no floppy or CD, and an old firmware, so updating
> the firmware and netboot installation can't be done on these. (or can it?)

You don't have an external SCSI-case lying around?  I scrapped together
that and an old SCSI-CDROM drive, worked well.

> Luckily we've got one model 400 with CD-ROM drive, so I guess I'll have to
> use that one to install NetBSD and then copy the installation to the
> harddisks of the 300's. let's hope this'll work...

That would be an option, too.  Yes, it's somewhat of a hassle to get
NetBSD on them boxes, but they do run well once up :)

Jochen
--
"Been up all night with the computer you see, teaching it to play 'Three Blind
Mice'. It was an important goal for me."