Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 on DEC 3000/300
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/11/2002 14:53:46
On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 03:13:27PM +0200, Jochen Kmietsch wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Matt Dainty wrote:
>
> > > now if only I could get this thing to netboot...
>
> Attach a CD drive and boot via CD-ROM.  At least that's what I did, b/c I
> was not brave enough to do a firmware-update :)
>
> > I had a hell of a time getting my 3000/600 netbooting, upgrading to the
>
> 3000/300 here, same probs.
>
> > latest available fixed the problem, (I had to boot the upgrade from
> > a Digital Unix-mastered tape).
>
> Hm, do you have an URL?  Is CD an option?

http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/archive/dec3000.html

AFAIK you'd still need a DU or VMS system to run the utility. I
followed the DU boot floppy instructions, but just dd'd the image to a
tape instead. I guess you could put that onto a CD somehow.

The RRD43 in my /600 was knackered, you needed to perform a DJ-style
spin 'n' slam to get the drive to spin up and find any disc.

Matt
--
"Phased plasma rifle in a forty-watt range?"
"Hey, just what you see, pal"