Subject: Re: NetBSD on Dec 3000
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@maja.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/18/2002 16:45:09
On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 09:04:30AM -0400, Paul Mather wrote:

> I often wonder how many DEC 3000 owners are turned away from NetBSD
> after reading (falsely) on www.netbsd.org that the native console and
> X (server) are not supported for their machine.
>
> I really think that information needs to be brought up to date on the
> official site.  I don't think it is a big edit.
Yes. I was one of the exhibitors at the BSD booth at the Linux-Kongress.
Karsten Merker, one of the Linux-PMAX developers, was relly surprised
to see my DEC 3k500 running X. We had a litle talk (of about one hour ;-) )
about everything and nothing. When he left, he said that he will install
NetBSD on his DEC 3000. Only reason to do this: To be able to use X on
this exquisite hardware.
That X works on DEC 3000 is really a hidden information.

So we really need a update of the port-alpha pages and perhaps some kind
person (I am not able to do it at the moment) prepares a install image
with TCWSCONS kernel...
--

tschüß,
         Jochen