Subject: Re: NetBSD on Dec 3000
To: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
From: Jochen Kmietsch <jochen.kmietsch@tu-clausthal.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/18/2002 15:28:28
Hello!

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Paul Mather wrote:

> I often wonder how many DEC 3000 owners are turned away from NetBSD
> after reading (falsely) on www.netbsd.org that the native console and
> X (server) are not supported for their machine.

That is indeed confusing.  Well, I did not turn away, since NetBSD is the
only free Unix that works on that hardware (at least that I know of), but
I was very surprised when I got to know on this list that KVM does work.
Not that I would need it, but some more successful messages in the dmesg
just look better than all the "unconfigured" lines :)  But the Pelican is
too noisy to use it as an X-terminal, so it sits there, waiting for a
server need to put it to work.

> I really think that information needs to be brought up to date on the
> official site.  I don't think it is a big edit.

Would be less confusing, yes.

Jochen (there are a lot of Jochens on this list :))
--
What is the difference between Scientology and Microsoft? One is an
evil cult bent on world domination and the other was begun by L. Ron