Subject: Re: Alpha DS10 Hanging on Generic 1.5.3 kernel
To: Johan A. van Zanten <johan@ewranglers.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/06/2002 09:18:38
On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 06:14:45AM -0400, Johan A. van Zanten wrote:

 >   I've installed the latest firmware for the Compaq DS10 and it seemed to
 > take care of the USB-related kernel problems.  I got it from here:
 >
 > ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/readmes/ds10.html
 >
 > I installed it using the BOOTP method described in the webpage cited
 > above. This took the SRM firmware on the machine ("sarasvati") from 5.7 to
 > 6.2.  I did this after reading the following on the FreeBSD 4.6 Alpha
 > hardware notes:
 >
 >   The USB ports are not supported and are disabled by the SRM console in
 >    all recent SRM versions.

Ok, I will get this into the release notes and onto the WWW server in the
FAQ.

 >  sarasvati still panics when attempting to build a new kernel on an
 > NFS-mounted file system.

Hm.  Can you please try a 1.6_BETA5 kernel?  You should be able to boot
it over your existing 1.5.3 installation.  It is available at:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/snapshot/20020804-1.6_BETA5/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz

 >   Juergen Weiss said he has seen this problem with pc164 board and nfs,
 > and maybe be related to the Tulip. Should i open a new PR about this?  Is
 > there anything else i can get out of the kernel debugger? The crash is
 > reproducable.

The "de" driver has been deprecated in favor of the "tlp" driver.  I have
been using "tlp" extensively for quite some time, and have not had problems
with it.